If you are looking for my blog titled, The Contemplative Catholic Convert, you are at the right spot.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Let Me Count the Ways

If you have read my Prayer Strategies blog (www.prayerstrategies.blogspot.com) you know I use a number of prayer ‘tools’ during my time with the Lord. One of those strategies is the use of ‘canned’ prayers, which I often modify to better fit my need to draw close to God.

This morning Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s poem dropped into my thoughts. I modified it for myself (I hope she wouldn’t mind ;-).  I also hope you will find it useful for your own time of prayer.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I want to love thee to the depth and breadth and height
my soul can reach, even when I feel I’m out of your sight.
I want to love thee to the end of my being and
above the level of every day’s most quiet need,
by sun and candle-light.
I want to love thee freely. I want to love thee purely.
I want to love thee with a passion useful for Thy kingdom,
even in my griefs, and with child-like faith.
I want to love thee with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if you choose, I want to love thee even better after death.

No comments: